One of my goals for the next month is to post each day of July about a List of 10 dealing with a personal finance or money saving idea topic.
Yesterday I had a post on ways to save on Grocery Expenses. Today I am going to share 10 ways to save on Clothing expenses.
1) Buy Quality – In some cases it may make sense to spend more for better quality if it is something that you will be wearing and using a lot.
2) Shop seasonally – Sometimes you can get deals on items at the end of each season. Some stores are starting to have seasonal clothes early on in the season so you can still use them in the current season. Also, look for items on sale after holidays and during back to school shopping season.
3) Buy classic styles – try to buy classic items that can be worn with several different things. These can be spruced up with accessories.
4) Thrift and Resale stores – Some people prefer not to purchase clothes in thrift and resale stores. I have found several items in these stores that still have the original price tags on them.
5) Consignment stores- Consignment stores may have higher quality items than thrift stores, along with that, the prices may also be higher.
6) Shop your closet – By looking in your closet you may be able to find items that you forgot you had. Also, I have tried wearing items with different pieces than I usually do to come up with a different look. Also, by using different accessories you may be able to come up with different outfits.
7) Clearance section – Many stores have sections with reduced prices. Even if it’s a store that you don’t think you can afford things, you may be able to find reasonably priced items in the clearance section.
8) Clothing swap – If you have items that you never wore often or that you are tired of, consider hosting a clothing swap with some of your friends. Each person brings items that they no longer want and they can swap them for things other people have brought. Extra items left over can be donated.
9) Garage sales – Most garage sales have clothing. It is an especially good place to find clothes for babies and children since in most cases they were not worn much before they grew out of them.
10) Shop online – If you know what you are looking for and how the sizing runs, it may save you time and money to shop online. Some stores offer online coupons and discounts. They may also offer free shipping if you purchase a certain amount.
Click here for previous posts